Wednesday 20 June 2018

Latest Checkup - All Good

Went back to the hospital today for a routine checkup. Nothing new to report - which is great. I have now been moved to a checkup every three months.

My chimerism has remained steady at around 80%. I had hoped that after the radiotherapy that this would have increased, but the doc says not to worry - it's possible it could stay at this level forever (all we care about is it doesn't start moving back towards 50%). The doc is also setting up a routine PET scan over the coming weeks - this is a normal follow-up to the treatment I had earlier this year, and nothing (we believe) to worry about.

Checking back on my blog, I mentioned a few times that I had problems with my concentration levels and fatigue. That all suddenly cleared up in early May. After months and months of having a fuzzy head, I woke up one day in May (I actually remember the date - Thursday, May 10th) and I felt more alert and clear-headed than I have done for a very long time. It's as if a switch was turned on - and I haven't looked back since then. I remain full of beans and good levels of concentration.

I have also established good contact with my donor. All still over email, but I am really looking forward to the day that I meet him for the first time.

So, it continues to look really good for me and I feel that I have successfully come through the other side of this disease and treatment. We hear a lot of bad press these days about the NHS, but I have nothing but admiration, respect and gratitude for the people there that saved my life.

One last thing - I have signed up for the British Transplant Games - being held in Birmingham in August. I'll be participating with the Dublin Team - long story! Looking forward to that, better start training.....

4 comments:

  1. Trevor, I'm so very glad to hear from you again. It probably goes without my saying it, but I'll say it anyway: That many of us with blood cancers go through months and months of being fuzzy headed ... all the while, wondering if our minds will ever again regain the clarity we need to return to our most cherished projects (especially the Big Ones, like our seeing children grow up, or our grandchildren born – but smaller projects too, like running a race or reading a book we've always wanted to get to). Good luck in your games and God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trevor I would like to talk to you sometime. Also regarding the 80% thing someone else I was reading about elsewhere had that issue with a similar transplant and they simply got more of his donor cells and Infused them and he is fine now at 100%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you mind giving me a shout sometime at lesgalaxys3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete