Wednesday 1 August 2018

British Transplant Games 2018

All the way through this journey with Lymphoma, once I knew I would need a bone marrow transplant, I thought it would be good to take part in the Transplant Games that are available for transplantees (British, European and World Transplant Games).
Somehow I always thought I would get through the treatment successfully and be well enough to run again.
Well, the time has come! The British Transplant Games are on this weekend (August 2 - 5) and I am taking part with the Irish Kidney Association's team (Team Transplant Ireland).
I'll keep you posted......

[Update Monday, August 6th] - It was fantastic! I was amazed at how it was such a big and well organized event. Over 1000 transplant recipients (mixture of bone marrow, heart, lung, kidney, liver - the whole lot!) and another 1500 to 2000 donors and supporters made it an unbelieveable event. Myself and my family thoroughly enjoyed every minute and I thought about my own donor every day - it was thanks to him that I could compete.Hopefully he can join me at next year's games.
As for my performance - I got silver in the 5k and bronze in the 1500 metres, so I am very happy right now!

Pics:- Third place in the 1500 metres

 Silver and bronze medals!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck,Trevor, we will be thinking of you! It's awe-inspiring to see you as a transplantee able to regain so much of your energy, that you can now take part in athletic events. No doubt it took a long time and much work for you to get to this point. Makes me want to keep plodding on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need photos !!!
    Good luck my friend......catch up soon xx

    ReplyDelete