Friday 4 November 2016

Beware of the goblins

I was hoping the intravenous immunoglobulins would go smoothly, but no such luck. they started the infusion slowly so that if there was a reaction it would be lighter than if I got the full dose from the start. That went fine so they stepped it up to the next level. That, too, went fine so they stepped it up again - that's when the rigors started. The most violent and uncontrollable shaking I've ever had. I'm sure they must have heard my teeth chattering from the other side of the ward. it came on really fast, but so did the medical team - they quickly gave me an antihistamine shot and the shivers died down within about twenty minutes. I'm in such good hands here.

I took a break for a couple of hours and we restarted the infusion back at the slowest rate. Fully aware that I might have another reaction, but I really want these antibodies in my system to fight this virus. It took all night, but I eventually finished the first of four bottles. I'll be hooked up for the rest of today and probably tonight, but at least I'm getting the medicine I need.

On the positive side, I've gotten out of hoovering the house for another week AND I have plenty of time while lying here to hatch a scheme to get out of more chores next week........

2 comments: