Wednesday 27 January 2016

Here we go

I'm on my second day in hospital already. Yesterday was a mixture of a lot of hanging around for them to put in the central line and then waiting for a bed on the ward. The central line insertion was fine and it's being used as I type for today's chemo. I was nervous before the procedure, but then they gave me a sedative and suddenly all my problems were over! I floated around for a while before it wore off, and the procedure went smoothly.
Today's drug is called Campath. For the medically-inclined among you, it's a monoclonal antibody whose purpose here is to reduce/remove my T-cells (a certain type of white blood cell). This is effectively starting to dampen-down my immune system and make it more receptive to the stem cells when they arrive. I will have the Campath today and tomorrow- 12 hours each day hooked up to the drip.
Sue's here with me at the moment. Once she's gone I think I'll get very bored as I can't get my tablet to connect to the WiFi network- I was relying on that to watch tv/films. Luckily my phone connects, so I'll watch stuff on that.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best from Conor and gang in Donegal. You've one brave man! You should take a trip to Donegal with Michael and Pauline when you get sorted. All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go aun ya good thing! Checking the blog daily so keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trevor, if you can't get the Wifi sorted out then maybe look into getting an Android Fire tablet ? You can download movies and Prime TV shows when you're at home and play them when not connected to the net. The 8" is 129 quid. Keep your spirits up, we're all behind you. Cheers. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang on in there Trevor.Sorry you're bored already & hope you'll find a way of watching movies etc. We're all rooting for you from the support group.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. I finally got connected to the WiFi yesterday evening.Bibi Baskin never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete