Saturday 13 February 2016

The fever finally arrived

Well, I lasted until day eight (yesterday) before the fever struck. I reckon that was a good run. So do the docs.
I blame the platelets I got yesterday! It may have been a coincidence, but I was fine all day, then I got some platelets, had a snooze afterwards, and woke up with the fever. It wasn't too bad at 38 degrees, but it was enough for the medical team to jump into action. They are a really good team anyway, but they were very slick in handling the fever- during the next couple of hours I had blood cultures taken, started on intravenous antibiotics and went for a chest xray. It is comforting to know I'm in such good hands.
So, here I am on the morning of day nine and I am feeling ok. My temperature is back down to normal (for now- it's been up and down all night, but is so far being managed with paracetamol) and I now have an antibiotic injection three times a day on top of all the other meds I have to take. So it's still going well for me and I have started to turn one eye towards the next phase of the transplant- when my bloods start to recover and I start to see some of the effects of GvH (graft vs host). I wonder when that will start. This coming week, I hope.....

4 comments:

  1. Hope the next 24 hrs get a bit easier. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the next 24 hrs get a bit easier. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you've been doing so well Trevor - must be the Guinness beating the lager! Hang on in there a bit longer.U R still a ��!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The French took the lead in Paris - that was the cause of your fever.

    ReplyDelete